Everyone seems to have their opinion on how the first year of marriage should go. Some say it will be bliss, while others are surprised to get through it. Both of these can be true, and a lot of what happens depends on what you put into the relationship. If you did some premarital relationship preparation, before getting married, then you’re on the right track. No matter what, though, it takes work. Like the saying goes, the grass is greener on the side you water… but it’s also important to use the right kind of water. Do you use the dirty, stale and leftover kind that’s been sitting around after you’ve watered all the other things in your life, or is it the crisp, clear refreshing kind that’s in its prime form. What I’m getting at is this. If your relationship/wife/marriage is truly special to you, prove it every day by giving her your very best. Then, on your anniversary, make it a point to highlight your love by going above and beyond. Just remember, your first anniversary sets the tone!
1. Frame a copy of your vows, a picture from your wedding and a note/poem expressing your love.
2. Plan out all the details of your marriage proposal, and relive every moment of it together.
3. Put together all the special music from your wedding day (in the same order), and play it for her at a special moment that evening.
4. Prepare a mini honeymoon getaway, and spoil her as often as possible.
5. Do that one activity you’ve wanted to do together but kept putting off, and be sure to make it a surprise.